[sf-perl] OSCON impressions

Fred Moyer fred at redhotpenguin.com
Tue Jul 28 16:25:34 PDT 2009

2009/7/28 Paul Makepeace <Paul.Makepeace at realprogrammers.com>:
> Wow, people still use DBI? Awesome. It's like being back in the 90s :-)
> (http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBIx-Class/ for anyone not following this light
> teasing.)

DBI is my tool of choice for implementing sql where performance (cpu
and memory) is a concern.

DBIx::Class is my tool of choice for implementing business logic where
the performance concerns aren't as great.

I have a web service that I use DBI to write the queries because I
need to keep the processes slim.

I also have a web app that controls that service, I use DBIx::Class
there because I can make very rapid changes to the business logic
without a lot of typing, it has a development speed advantage over
DBI.

If DBIx::Class is a bulldozer, DBI is a jackhammer.  Use the most
suitable tool for the task.