[sf-perl] James' blog links on Oops! - kinosearch rumors

James Briggs james at ActionMessage.com
Thu Aug 27 16:22:23 PDT 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 13:32:50 +0300, Shlomi Fish wrote
> On Thursday 27 August 2009 12:11:36 James Briggs wrote:
> > Hi folks.
> >
> > 1) I wrote a blog post on the meeting for those who couldn't make it.
> > Let me know if there's any additions or corrections:
> >
> > sf.pm.org: Oops! I i18n’d your app
> > http://www.jebriggs.com/blog/2009/08/sf-pm-org-oops-i-i18nd-your-app/
> >

> > 2) Also, I have recently started using SphinxSearch with Perl as a
> > replacement for MySQL Full Text Search:
> >
> > Using Sphinx Search with Perl
> > http://www.jebriggs.com/blog/2009/08/using-sphinx-search-with-perl/
>
> Very nice posts, and I enjoyed reading them.

Hi Shlomi.

Thanks. I'm fortunate to be able to attend a lot of conferences
and user groups, so try to capture that for others. Most of the posts
that are less than a year old are actively maintained, unlike many sources.

> How would you say Sphinx Search compares to KinoSearch, the Perl port
>(but not pure Perl) of Lucene:
>
> http://www.rectangular.com/kinosearch/

The advice I got from a programmer who has evaluated free search tools is
this: make sure it has the client interfaces you need, that they
actually work, and that the internal formats are compatible/portable
with what you expect (ie. some claim to be lucene-compatible, but have
a different on-disk format than lucene. wtf?)

He mentioned kinosearch with perl as "not working out" for him in 2006 or
2007, so you should be prepared to file bug reports or fix it yourself if
you go in that direction. Just a warning.

Let me know what your impression is.

Also, I believe there is one maintainer for kinosearch.

Sphinx also has 1 maintainer, but it's a fairly fresh project and there is
a revenue stream from Percona to support it for now. Craigslist is the
largest user, followed by various forum sites.

I have met the Sphinx author, but not the kinosearch author.

> I recently got my hostmaster to install Kino on my hosting, but I
> ran into a problem of trying to figure out how to get it to index my
> site. I'd like to set it up as an alternative to the Google search box:

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=perl&domains=www.shlomifish.org&sitesearch=www.shlomifish.org&btnG=Google+Search

Sphinx can be installed with only user privileges, so you would not
need hostmaster intervention. I imagine the same holds for kinosearch too.

> In any case, wouldn't you like to syndicate your Perl posts on
> http://perlsphere.net/ , or perhaps join the Iron Man Perl blogging
> competition: http://ironman.enlightenedperl.org/ ? Note that you may
> need to filter the Perl posts somehow, such as by using tags.

I'll look into that. Google usually ranks my posts fairly high, and
you can also bookmark my blog.

For those interested in SSD, check out my comprehensive post on SSD links.