[sf-perl] CodeCon (was Re: Parrot talk, BALUG, 4/21 (SF, CA, USA))

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Tue Apr 14 16:15:03 PDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:01:18AM -0700, Joe Brenner wrote:

> Bob goolsby <bob.goolsby at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Rich Morin <rdm at cfcl.com> wrote:
>
> > > In case anyone is interested, Allison Randal will be talking
> > > about Parrot at BALUG on the 21st - http://www.balug.org

FWIW, I plan to attend.  I hope I'll see some of you there.

> > I am among the interested, but I have a scheduling conflict --
> > everybody who is doing anything interesting is doing it on Tuesdays.
> > Sigh.
>
> I know the feeling.  If I ever organize another geek event it's going to
> take place on first prime Wednesdays.

Yes!  I think Wednesdays are still a good day to colonize.

> Also, CodeCon (which is coming up this weekend) has announced a schedule:
>
>    http://www.advogato.org/article/1007.html
>
> Looks like a lot of interesting stuff, though nothing particularly
> perl-related this time (but then, whose fault is that, eh?).

Yeah, as you imply, definitely ours.  Many CodeCon presenters are in the
Python camp, but the organizers seem to be impartial--as long as you have an
innovative idea, they don't care what language you use to implement it.  One
of the best CodeCon talks ever was by Meredith Patterson, on a VB(!) codebase
(not her choice) that let people purchase custom oligonucleotides.

In my memory, the only two Perl-related presentations have been 1) my talk on
an experimental IVR system (Perl talking to Asterisk) and 2) Dan Kaminsky's
talk on tunneling out of firewalls via DNS lookups (part Perl, part C).  In
Dan's talk, he joked, "Yes, this part is a horrible hack, but, hey, that's
what Perl is for" (paraphrased).  It's too bad this idea has become so
self-perpetuating.

--
Quinn Weaver Consulting, LLC
Full-stack web development