[sf-perl] use {strict,warnings}

Quinn Weaver quinn at fairpath.com
Sun Mar 2 15:46:33 PST 2008

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 03:27:35PM -0800, David Fetter wrote:

> Tests, if you'll pardon the Rumsfeld-ism, are for known unknowns, and
> they frequently lead to a false sense of security.  It's the unknown
> unknowns that come up and bite you on the butt.

True!  OTOH, for mere mortals like me, just making clear one's
assumptions about what the known behavior is supposed to be (and then
having a way to verify that they this behavior isn't regressing) is a
major boon.

Of course, when you stumble across an unknown unknown, you fix the bug
and write new a test case for it.  Then you continue marching backwards
into the future...

--
Quinn Weaver, independent contractor  |  President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
http://fairpath.com/quinn/resume/     |  http://sf.pm.org/