[sf-perl] use {strict,warnings}

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Sun Mar 2 15:27:35 PST 2008

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 02:24:36PM -0800, Rich Morin wrote:
> "use {strict,warnings}" are indeed very comforting to have as a
> safety net for development.  I have been speculating about ways to
> add similar (and perhaps stronger) tests to Ruby, using some form of
> metaprogramming.

What a bummer for Ruby that it doesn't have this basic kind of
protection...over ten years after perl got it. ;)

> So, I'd like to hear folks' opinions on what kinds of tests they
> find most (and least :-) useful, what tests they'd like to have, how
> best to make them minimally annoying, etc.

Tests, if you'll pardon the Rumsfeld-ism, are for known unknowns, and
they frequently lead to a false sense of security.  It's the unknown
unknowns that come up and bite you on the butt.

Cheers,
David.
--
David Fetter <david at fetter.org> http://fetter.org/