[sf-perl] When/where was uppercase EQ, NE, etc ok?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Jun 20 12:54:18 PDT 2008

>>>>> "yary" == yary  <not.com at gmail.com> writes:

yary> Was there a flavor/edition/version of perl >=4 that allowed uppercase
yary> string comparison operators? This is in vanilla "pl" files, no
yary> templating, no source filters- in fact there are no "use"s or BEGINs or
yary> even packages.  Which makes me suspect that perhaps it was originally
yary> written with perl v4... I started on perl4 but my memory of those days
yary> are a bit hazy. Just the unsightly single-quote package specifier!

I believe it was deprecated in early Perl 5, and finally removed in 5.6, or
maybe earlier.