[sf-perl] hostid in mac os x?

Brian Hamlin bh1 at light42.com
Sun Jan 6 14:31:26 PST 2008

I have only anecdotal evidence..
Basically, unix ports, whether via Fink or MacPorts (straight outta
BSD), will
always suffer in the windowing and fonts department. If you are
installing
a faceless server kind of thing, you are probably in good shape. xMagick
and all rely on some font management, and thats where I draw the line
on installs for my Macs.

I am successfully using a pretty full featured imaging package, with a
slew if imaging engines, like TIFF and JPEG and others, but again,
its bits only, and faceless. OS 10.4, PowerPC.. couple variations...

Meanwhile, those VMs are getting more a more solid, with hardware
to support it. The rumor around here is that Parallels works a little
better than VM Ware on a Mac. So its been said by someone who
has put in the hours.. Those that can are buying high-end dual Xeon
Macs with all the ram they can find. And it works. Yes, the VMs are for
Intel.

So if you need 100% environment compatibility, build it with a VM.
Meanwhile, plenty of things work very well on BSD/Mac these days.