[sf-perl] Do You Twitter?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Sat Sep 22 18:16:44 PDT 2007

>>>>> "David" == David Scott <ds94103 at earthlink.net> writes:

David> How does one get started with Twitter (or Jaiku for that matter)?  I've
David> spent some time investigating, but there seems to be a pretty big hump
David> to get over just setting up friends lists, etc.  Also, SMS costs money.

I don't use SMS at all for my Jaiku (in fact, if you're in the US, you can't
yet!).  Instead, sign up for a Jaiku account on the web, and then start adding
interesting people to follow.  When you have something you want to say, just
say it.  And when you have something you want to comment on, do that.
Eventually, as you end up commenting on things that other people are following
or also commenting on, they'll add you as someone else to follow, provided
your comments are interesting.

For example, if you start following merlyn.jaiku.com (me), you'll see what I'm
commenting on, and you'll see who comments on me.  And you can slowly add them
(many of them are Perl people, but not always) as you wish.

You can also follow #perl, or any of the other "channels", or start one of
your own, which will be listed on the master channel page.  Any message posted
to a channel starts its own thread.

And that's another downside of twitter... without the threads, it's really
hard to discover new interesting people with similar interests, because you
get to add people only by names.  How do you find those names?  Watching the
"everybody" feed?  ugh, I tried that once.