[sf-perl] Do You Twitter?

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Sep 21 08:11:29 PDT 2007

>>>>> "Vicki" == Vicki Brown <vlb at cfcl.com> writes:

Vicki> At 18:51 -0700 09/20/2007, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>> I started twittering, but switched to Jaiku six months ago.  Far better
>> model.

Vicki> How so? Tell, tell!

Jaiku is more like micro-"blogging".

In Twitter, everyone has a place they can say something, but only to the
people who are already subscribed.  So, you don't really get "threads".  You
get people shouting in some sort of sequence, and unless you're subscribed to
to everyone who is participating in a conversation, it's all rather
disconnected.

For example, if A says something that B hears, and B comments on that which C
hears, then C didn't hear A's message, and makes a random comment, and I'm
subscribed to both A and C, it'll look really strange.  No logical threads.

In Jaiku, each comment has a thread.  If someone I'm following makes an
original comment *or* replies to a comment, I can see the whole thread above,
and if I comment on that post, it becomes part of the *thread*, which can be
reviewed up and down.  So, each presence item is its own microblog post, with
a series of interchange about that post (with the occasional threadjack but
that's pretty rare).

Also, Jaiku is an agggregator.  I'm currently feeding 15 other RSS feeds where
I might be posting something (my Flickr, my use.perl, geekcruises podcast,
etc) into Jaiku, so people who follow me can know when I've posted something
somewhere else.  And they can either go back to the original to make comments,
or just make a jaiku comment about it, starting another thread.

Jaiku is clearly the better model.  I can't stand twitter now... the
conversations aren't there.