[sf-perl] Book(s) for learning oo perl?

Joseph Brenner doom at kzsu.stanford.edu
Mon Jun 12 13:18:08 PDT 2006

Andy Lester <andy at petdance.com> wrote:

> David Alban wrote:
>
> > I just looked up Object Oriented Perl by Damien Conway on amazon.  It
> > says it's not available.  It was also out of stock at another
> > retailer.  (It's also, I believe, going on seven years old.)
>
> Then find a retailer where it's not out of stock.
>
> There is no better book on OO Perl, and it's one of the best computer
> books ever.

Stacey's web site says that they've got it on the shelves:

   http://staceys.booksense.com/NASApp/store/Product?s=showproduct&isbn=1884777791

They also have Conway's "Best Practices" book:

  http://staceys.booksense.com/NASApp/store/Product?s=showproduct&isbn=0596001738

"Object Oriented Perl" is indeed a really good book, but it is true that
it could use some revision.  If you look in "Best Practices", you'll see
that he's now endorsing "inside-out" objects, which you won't find
discussed in "Object Oriented Perl".

Of course, while you're likely to see more of the "inside-out" style in
the future, hash-based objects are still the consensus choice, so
"Object Oriented Perl" is far from worthless.  I'd say: read it first,
and use "Best Practices" as a supplement.

Stacey's is a large bookstore with a good selection of technical books
located on Market Street, near 2nd Street.  It's a good place, though
the hours are a little limited (closes by 7pm most days):

  http://staceys.booksense.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp?s=storehours