[sf-perl] Book(s) for learning oo perl?

David Fetter david at fetter.org
Mon Jun 12 12:25:25 PDT 2006

On Mon, Jun 12, 2006 at 11:15:12AM -0700, David Alban wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I just looked up Object Oriented Perl by Damien Conway on amazon.
> It says it's not available.  It was also out of stock at another
> retailer.  (It's also, I believe, going on seven years old.)

Although Damien is a brilliant guy, about half the book had me
screaming, "just use an RDBMS and stop [making love] around with this
ridiculous [hemipygian] [taurine fæces]!" I've never been so tempted
to throw a book in the garbage as I was by this thing.

In other words, you're probably better off not being able to get it.
Damien's later book "Perl Best Practices" is definitely good for your
bookshelf.

> I could buy it used, but before I do that, I wanted to ask, what are
> folks' opinions on the best books to learn object oriented perl for
> someone very familiar with perl, but not very familiar with object
> oriented programming?  (I want something in addition to the perl man
> pages.)

You might want to check out Randal Schwartz's "Learning Perl Objects,
References and Modules" from O'Reilly along with (for more OO fun)
Kent Beck's "Smalltalk Patterns: Best Practices." :)

Cheers,
David Fetter <david at fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!