[sf-perl] OSCON update

Quinn Weaver qw at sf.pm.org
Wed Jul 12 19:06:25 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jul 12, 2006 at 03:05:16PM -0700, Rich Morin wrote:
> At 2:31 PM -0700 7/12/06, Quinn Weaver wrote:
> > :(  The O'Reilly newsletter I received reads

> > I will check back with O'Reilly about this.  I'm guessing it was
> > a misprint, and the double discount was supposed to be available
> > only during the normal early-registration period.  Bummer.

Yes, I received confirmation from O'Reilly that this is the case.
Sorry!  I guess it couldn't hurt to follow Jennifer's example,
but the official word is no.

> Possibly it wasn't a misprint, nor even a mistake, just imprecise
> phrasing.  My suspicion is that it translates to:
>
>   >>> Use code "os06dsug" when you register, and receive 15% off
>   >>> the prevailing registration price (lower now, while we're
>   >>> in the early registration period).

Yes, but the newsletter was sent out after the early registration
period had already ended.

Anyway, we know what the deal is now.

> That said, O'Reilly et al generally maintain admirable levels of
> quality in their work and frequently look further than others in
> their consideration of the second-order effects of their choices.
> So, don't be too hard on them...

I agree, O'Reilly rocks. :)

--
qw (Quinn Weaver); #President, San Francisco Perl Mongers
=for information, visit http://sf.pm.org/weblog =cut