[sf-perl] Can I rant, rave, and delurk for a moment?

Chris Palmer chris at noncombatant.org
Thu Feb 17 13:28:06 PST 2005

> it to Java, like Perl was some bastard child programming language.

To be fair, Perl *is* a bastard child programming language. That is the
source of its strengths and its weaknesses. It really is all-too-often
true that Hell is Other People's Perl, even though we all know it's
possible to write clean and maintainable Perl.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, Duane; I too have been ordered to
stop using Perl and Python and to use Java (incl. Servlets and JSP)
instead. It sucks. Perl, Python and PHP are more naturally suited to web
glue applications than Java even with JSP, but Java is considered good
for some unfathomable reason. I believe that Java is considered good
precisely because it is so big and expensive.

But that's irrelevant. Duane could probably have done the job quickly
using J2[SE]E and JSP, if he were already a Java guy (maybe he is, I
dunno). What's relevant is that source code is a way to communicate with
people, and when in Rome, you should at least try to speak Italian.