[San-Diego-pm] Quarterly Meeting on Tuesday, July 14th, 2020

Tim Bollman tim.bollman at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 07:01:48 PDT 2020

I made my move to North Carolina last month, but I might be able to make it
for an hour or so given the late night for me.

I realize I never sent out the slides on my presentation from the last
meeting on underutilized algorithms and techniques, so here it is: Perl
Mongers 2020-04-14.pptx
<https://1drv.ms/p/s!AlYbryv5WVB-kIhgd5FkTPqnJDejvQ?e=asIaRa>

I've got some slides I'm working on right now for an internal team
presentation at NVidia to define the purpose for different types of testing
so we can align as a team on what we want to focus on and do about our
crufty legacy random suite that's sitting in like 14 different directories
and takes 2 hours to run on a server farm and needs to be resubmitted 3
times because of random flakiness. But I doubt I'm going to be a great
presenter at 10PM my time. If you are in a similar boat, it might be
helpful for people.

But you could just skip my 15 minute distilling and go to some of my recent
sources like these two talks that I think did a decent job helping me
crystalize what I've got in the deck:

TDD - Where did it all go wrong
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ05e7EMOLM>
TDD - The bad parts
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPL84vvLwXA>

Despite the name, these aren't bashing on TDD, they are people who ascribe
to the methodology talking about the good parts of it to take away for your
team, which is generally just a statement on what value types of testing
does and does not bring.

-Tim