[San-Diego-pm] Special Meeting Tonight!

Bob Kleemann rkleeman at energoncube.net
Fri Apr 22 14:28:10 PDT 2016

San Diego Perl Mongers,

Here's a quick summary of what was discussed at the monthly meeting, as
well as the decisions reached.

People do enjoy the meetings.  The meetings provide a good place for
exchanging ideas and getting different perspectives.  However, the
regularity of the meetings, as well as their lack of focus, means that they
are easy to miss, and then easy to get in the habit of missing.  Therefore,
we shall continue having meetings, but less often.  Agreement was reached
that quarterly was a good frequency.  Also, the meeting weekday will change
from the third Thursday of the month, to the second Tuesday.  So the next
meeting will not be on the third Thursday in May, but on on the second
Tuesday of July.  July 12th will be the next meeting, followed by October
11th, followed by January 10th, followed by April 11th, 2017, followed by

Meetings will still start with open discussion of questions, ideas, and
random topics, but after that initial discussion, we'll have a focus for
each meeting.  That focus would include a lightning talk (or more),
followed by discussion.  For the lightning talks and discussion, I would
like to hear about which topics/technologies that you're interested in
participating in.  The topics could range from things you feel very
knowledgeable about and would like to share, to things that you'd like to
gain some knowledge of.  Some topics for future discussions:

 * Converting from traditional CGI scripts to mod_perl, FastCGI, and other
ways to enhance web performance.
 * Packaging programs for easy deployment.
 * Perl interview questions.
 * Other ideas from you!

Oh, and a special shout out belongs to the Ansir Innovation Center.
They're a great host, and a great place for coworking.  If you're looking
for some space, please consider them and their affordable options.
http://ansirsd.com/events/
They also have numerous free events where you can learn and share.
http://ansirsd.com/events/