[San-Diego-pm] Perl & MySQL

Christopher Hahn xrz1138 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 10:50:58 PDT 2014

That would beat a network monitor.

I am not sure what "my company detected MySQL running" means
though, and it could be a company-required app that, along with whatever
else it does, scans the system for installed softwares.

That would require a switch to an allowed DB.

...but I love the suggestion, and hope that the company is enlightened.

Chris

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Mark Schoonover <mark.schoonover at gmail.com
> wrote:

> If you don't need your MySQL instance available to the outside world, just
> lock it down to localhost. IIRC, there should be instructions in my.cnf on
> how to pin mysqld to localhost:3306 (assuming default port is used).
>

> Mark Schoonover
> Website: http://www.ka6wke.net
> Resume: http://cv.ka6wke.net
> Stack Exchange eBooks: http://se2go.ka6wke.net
>

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 10:05 AM, Bob Kleemann <rkleeman at energoncube.net>wrote:
>
>> Allen,
>>
>> There are several free databases you could use.  If the SQL commands
>> you've written aren't very MySQL specific, you could translate it to
>> many other DBs without much difficulty.  If you've got a lot of MySQL
>> specific extensions to SQL in your commands, then it might be more
>> difficult.  I'd look at SQLite, and see if that supports your needs.
>> If not, there are several others that could meet your needs, but it's
>> hard to say without a better idea of what your applications needs.
>>
>> Also, I'm CC'ing the rest of the San Diego Perl Mongers list, as I'm
>> sure many of them have some more experience moving from MySQL to other
>> DBs.
>>
>>   -- Bob
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 6:02 AM,  <allengil at sdf.org> wrote:
>> > Bob,
>> >
>> > I use Perl & MySQL on my company provided laptop as sort of a day
>> planner.
>> > It's just something I developed while working on my BSIT. Recently the
>> IT
>> > Nazis at my company detected MySQL running on it, and demanded that I
>> > remove it immediately, claiming it was a security threat. I've been
>> using
>> > this for over 10 years, and having my work history in a relational
>> > database has been quite helpful in recalling what I did. Do you have any
>> > suggestions on alternatives that won't require a massive rewrite of my
>> > code? I have a lot of SQL commands in there, and I would like to leave
>> > them alone if possible.
>> >
>> > Thanx,
>> >
>> > Allen Gilson

Realisant mon espoir, je me lance vers la gloire.
Christopher Hahn == xrz1138 at gmail.com