[San-Diego-pm] Is Perl finally dying? [was: Seen this?]

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Wed Jul 31 19:19:59 PDT 2013

Bob> It sounds like many people would like to be able to find middle and junior
Bob> level Perl people (programmers, sysadmins, etc), and those people are
Bob> really hard to find, as opposed to the senior level people, which are just
Bob> plain hard to find.  Is there anything this group can do to work on that
Bob> issue?  Do we need some training sessions?  Do we need to be better at
Bob> answering beginner level questions?  Should we focus on outreach?  Perhaps
Bob> the answer is to keep on doing what we're doing?

It's partially a perception problem, like Perl is old and crufty.

If kids only understood how many Perl jobs are out there where they give
up Perl entirely because they can't find enough Perl devs, more would
learn it.

There is absolutely more Perl development happening today than ever,
even counting the perl-ruled-the-web dot-com boom.

There are more Perl releases.

There are more Perl CPAN uploads.

But this won't last long, if we don't get new blood.

The big problem for hiring is that you need one or two *senior* Perl
devs (and they're all happily employed, thank you), and a bunch of
junior devs.  But there aren't any new junior devs.  So we're in a bit
of a panic.

Perl/Unix consulting, Technical writing, Comedy, etc. etc.
Still trying to think of something clever for the fourth line of this .sig