[San-Diego-pm] Config modules

Chris Grau chris at chrisgrau.com
Fri Aug 19 08:34:55 PDT 2011

As promised, I ack'd through my ~/src to see which Config:: modules I've
been using.  It came down to three.  In order of frequency:

    *   Config::Std[1]

        I originally started using this one after Damian presented it,
        and I really liked the data structure it returned.  However, due
        to its overhead and the fact that I rarely need round-trippable
        config files, I'm slowly discontinuing its use.

    *   Config::General[2]

        This is my current favorite, due to its flexibility.

    *   Config::IniFiles[3]

        This is starting to show up in scripts that use an INI-style
        configuration format that doesn't require the flexibility of
        Config::General.

Once upon a time, we also use App::Config, which had some nice features
like file inclusion.  But Config::General has replaced that
functionality for us.

I've also written a module called LSF::ConfigParser (unreleased), which
is designed as a generic parser for all LSF configuration files.  Other
modules can then use it to build up a data structure from any file.  I
should probably make it sub-classable and use polymorphism to extend it,
but that's a project for another day.  We're also looking at using it
for our own LSF-related configuration files, for a consistent format.

[1] http://search.cpan.org/dist/Config-Std/

[2] https://metacpan.org/module/Config::General

[3] https://metacpan.org/module/Config::IniFiles