[San-Diego-pm] Meeting Notes - January 2010

Chris Grau chris at chrisgrau.com
Thu Jan 21 22:34:04 PST 2010

=head1 NAME

SanDiego::Meeting::Social - Social gathering of the San Diego Perl
Mongers

=head1 DATE

Thursday, 21 January 2010, 19:00 - 21:00

=head1 LOCATION

The offices of Anonymizer, San Diego (Sorrento Valley), Calif., USA

L<http://anonymizer.com/>

=head1 DESCRIPTION

This is a simple meeting recap, conveniently written in pod so everyone
can read it in whatever format they prefer.  If you lack an appropriate
formatter, well, you can always write one.  As an added bonus, if you're
using a decent MUA *cough*Mutt*cough*, a formatter is only a few
keystrokes away:

    macro pager ,pd "<pipe-message>pod2text<enter>"

=head1 ATTENDEES

In order of introduction.

=over

=item *

Chris

=item *

Brian

=item *

Bob

=item *

Jacqueline

=item *

Ye

=item *

Cathy

=item *

Jeremy

=back

=head1 TOPICS

=head2 Happy New Year

It's a brand new year and, depending on who's counting, a brand new
decade.  We have 12 blank slates, if you will (okay, only 11, since
we've already met for January), and we want to know what our fellow
Mongers want to talk about.  Some of the ideas that were put on the
table include,

=over

=item Projects

=over

=item *

CPAN Volunteering

Test modules, file bugs, submit patches.

=item *

Perl 6 Volunteering

Ditto.

=item *

Hack-a-thons

Anything we want to work on, either as a team or individually together.

=back

=item Presentations

=over

=item *

Ruby for Perl Programmers

=item *

XS Programming

=item *

PostgreSQL vs. MySQL Cage Match

=item *

Database Abstraction Layer Comparisons

=item *

Moose / Mouse

=item *

Testing (Anything) with Perl

=back

=item Perl Party Games

=over

=item *

Lightning Talks

=item *

Collaborative Coding

Write a couple lines of code, pass the laptop to the next person, ad
infinitum.  It's like monkeys and typewriters.  Only, instead of
Shakespeare, we're shooting for a Perl module.

=item *

Perl Golf

=back

=back

=head2 Perl and Sybase

A recent post to the mailing list requesting help with running a more
recent version of Perl and still connecting to Sybase (anyone remember
SybPerl?).
L<http://mail.pm.org/pipermail/san-diego-pm/2010-January/002094.html>

We were fortunate enough to have Ye join us at January's meeting, and
chatted a bit about his options.  The main one, as I'm sure anyone who
has ever used the venerable DBI module would be quick to mention, is
DBD::Sybase L<http://search.cpan.org/dist/DBD-Sybase/>.  Unfortunately,
the drivers for databases like Sybase, Oracle, MSSQL, and their ilk, are
not as easy to install and use as their Open Source counterparts (MySQL,
PostgreSQL).  So it can be a challenge.

I'm sure we can expect some great discussions about databases and
testing on the list in the coming weeks.

=head1 NEXT MEETING

Thursday, 18 February 2010, 19:00 - 21:00

    Anonymizer
    9276 Scranton Rd #600
    San Diego, CA 92121

L<http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=9276+Scranton+Rd+%23600,+San+Diego,+CA+92121+(Anonymizer)&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=57.42297,55.634766&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17>