[San-Diego-pm] question

billdav@cox.net billdav at cox.net
Thu Feb 9 13:31:31 PST 2006

> In order to not continuously shuffle shebangs, when working with a perl
> script on personal server and on-line, I renamed the perl directory:
> usr. That works. One shebang fits all - here and on-line.

I just change it when I install ActivePerl.  There's an option in the installer to choose a different directory.

> Of course if I shell out to DOS and type: perl temp.pl I run into
> trouble. However this works: c:\usr\bin\perl temp.pl
>
> Does anybody know where the path alias is stored or know of a more
> graceful way of dealing with this.

As someone else pointed out, it's in System->Advanced->Environment Variables on Windows.  It won't show up in any cmd windows you had running before the change.

In an XP cmd window you can look at your path with the "path" command or with "echo %Path%"

Or just use Unix/Linux :)