[San-Diego-pm] Finding GD.pm

Douglas Wilson dgwilson1 at cox.net
Wed Aug 2 08:46:27 PDT 2006

Joel Fentin wrote:

> Much of the above is Greek to me. I have only used Windows and before
> that DOS. GD is installed in my computer and working. I need it on a
> server.
>
> 1. Are you saying that I should download the tar/GZ and then upload it
> to the server via ftp?

Is the server Unix/Linux, or is it Windows (ActiveState perl)?

If it is Windows, then I would get the ppd package from ActiveState.

But otherwise, yes, download the tar/gz and upload it to the server.

> 2. Are you saying I should run these programs on the server?
> perl Makefile.PL
> make
> make test
> make install
>
> 3. None of these programs mention GD. Is there something automatic about
> GD?

This is the "normal" install process that most people not on Windows
go through (note: I'm not going to get into CPAN.pm and CPANPLUS.pm for
now which are basically shortcuts for the above if you know how to use
them).

After you unpack the tar/gz file, you cd to the directory, where there
should be a Makefile.PL file, and then you run the above commands.
If GD has other dependencies, then it should complain during
"perl Makefile.PL" and you'll have to repeat the download/install
process for any other modules that need to be installed first.

HTH,
Doug