[San-Diego-pm] FWD: [IP] more on Hard time? Not for cyber criminals

Menolly menolly at mib.org
Wed Aug 18 19:03:41 CDT 2004

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Menolly> I've been told the Intel did not want to prosecute, but
> Menolly> Oregon wanted to test their laws and ran with it.  Feel free
> Menolly> to add salt to taaste; I so not claim to speak with authority
> Menolly> on this.
>
> [...]
>
> Menolly> I interned at Intel; they have an excellent internship
> Menolly> program and I enjoyed my time there quite a bit.  I probably
> Menolly> could have returned after graduation, but I decided I'd
> Menolly> rather work in a software-oriented company instead of doing
> Menolly> internal software for a hardware company.
>
> Yes, "did not want to prosecute" is probably what they would have told
> their own people.  But look at it this way: There's just as much
> non-evidence that I *was* authorized as I *wasn't* authorized.  In
> other words, the chalk lines that moved around after the fact could
> have just as easily moved back

I was also told that, to Intel, the larger issue was unauthorized access
from outside.  Again, I know my sources (Intel InfoSec employees) are
likely biased, and I withhold judgement to either side -- I don't think
Randal's a Bad Guy, but I also don't think Intel is particularly evil.

   )\._.,--....,'``.         | menolly at mib.org
  /,   _.. \   _\  (`._ ,.   | http://www.livejournal.com/~nolly/
 `._.-(,_..'--(,_..'`-.;.' fL| Paranoid Cynical Optimist
On that day, many will say to me, "Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in
your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works
in your name?" And then will I declare to them, "I never knew you;
depart from me you evildoers." -- Matt 7:20-23, RSV