split problem

Bob La Quey robertl1 at home.com
Wed Jul 5 03:23:21 CDT 2000

~sdpm~
If in fact your data always looks like

<data>
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0-25.0 sec   188 MBytes  60.2 Mbits/sec
[  6]  0.0-25.0 sec   277 MBytes  88.5 Mbits/sec
[  5]  0.0-25.0 sec   112 MBytes  35.7 Mbits/sec
[  3]  0.0-25.0 sec   195 MBytes  62.4 Mbits/sec
[  5] 25.0-50.0 sec   196 MBytes  62.7 Mbits/sec
</data>

Then you should blow of any complex splits or regexes,
which Perl gurus become fixated upon and,

    1) Just parse the columns by character widths and
    2) then clean up fore and aft extra spaces, if that is important.

The resulting code will be

    1) Obvious and
    2) fast

Check out the standard C function scanf
http://www-ccs.ucsd.edu/c/stdio.html#scanf
for a model of how to do this. Then translate to
Perl.

Or simpler yet just treat the lines as char arrays
and slice off the relevant pieces.

Please don't make your problem more complicated than it is.

taa0 at cris.com wrote:
<quote>
Here's one more way. Not very pretty, but it illustrates some ideas from the
"Mastering Regular Expressions" book:
</quote>

There has to be a better way. I can only agree with the author
taa0 at cris.com when I look at the code he provided, "not very pretty".
There are many reasons to write code. I would be quite surprised if

<quote>
illustrating ideas from the "Mastering Regular Expressions" book.
</quote> is why Steve Meier is writing this code. I suspect he

has a simple and pragmatic reason to do so.

Why not give him a simple and pragmatic solution?

I would do so but it is past 1:00 AM in the morning,
and I am 58 years old and have been writing code way too
long (nearly 40 years) to do this for you. Pardon me if
this sounds arrogant but I am a bit tired and feeling
like a curmudgeon.

Now I shall sleep and leave others to pick up the rant.

Exercise for the students, get to work,

Bob La Quey
~sdpm~

The posting address is: san-diego-pm-list at hfb.pm.org