[Saltlake-pm] Openwest 2015 call for papers!

Doran Barton fozzmoo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 10:26:34 PST 2014

Hey all you zany Perlers!

Openwest 2015 will be held May 6-9 at Utah Valley University and will be
bigger than ever before.  We've made a big deal about YAPC::NA coming to
Salt Lake in June, but Openwest is a big deal also, both for open source in
general as well as Perl.

If you have a topic you'd like to present at YAPC::NA, consider submitting
your presentation to Openwest as well. If nothing else, you can use
Openwest as a trial run before YAPC::NA.

Following is the official Openwest Call For Papers announcement:

The Call for Papers is open for the OpenWest 2015 conference! The CFP will
run from Dec 1, 2014 - Jan 31, 2015. You can submit your papers at:

http://cfp.openwest.org

The OpenWest conference is a community driven conference that focuses on
all things Open Source, Open Hardware and Open Standards.  The community
feel of the conference comes in a few ways:

1. Most of the presentations are from members of the local tech community.
While we do fly in national level speakers, the focus is on local community
members working with awesome tech.
2. Many of the local User Group Leaders are or have been a member of the
organizing group - Core Team.  This keeps the conference relative to the
communities we represent.
3. Presentations are selected by the community.  Using only the
Presentation Title and Description, attendees are able to vote on
presentations they’d like to see.

To further enhance the community feel of the conference we're so happy to
announce a few new initiatives:

* Speaker Mentoring - on request, we’ll pair you with somebody who can
coach you to new levels of awesomeness! Your presentation will be a homerun!
* Focus Groups - a new type of presentation that is a break from the v.
large presentations of 80+ people, a focus group is a CAPPED attendance
presentation with a max of 25 attendees.  This type of presentation is for
those who learn better working interactively with the presenter.  The room
is configured in a circle for everybody to talk.
* OpenWest Unconference - sharing the spotlight with the normally scheduled
conference we are dedicating space for spontaneous conference presentations
by members of the community.

Lastly, as a community event, we feel strongly about our Code of Conduct (
http://www.openwest.org/code-of-conduct/ ) and our commitment to Diversity
( http://www.openwest.org/diversity/ ).

Thanks to the community for helping us put this on!

--
Doran L. Barton <fozzmoo at gmail.com> - Linux, Perl, Web, good fun, and more!
 "When meeting an advancing person tootle your horn vigorously and he will