[Purdue-pm] Threads and forks

Joe gizmo at purdue.edu
Thu Oct 22 05:18:15 PDT 2020

On 10/21/20 9:10 PM, Turner, Howard Robert wrote:
> Greetings again everyone.
>
> Looking for some advice. I'm writing a small program that talks to a
> webserver and ends waiting for a connection back from the webserver.
> Problem is I can only figure out to have the call back handled or my
> Perl program continue processing but not both.
>
> Started reading the Perl threads tutorial but it suggests not using
> threads and then started reading about fork instead. So a little
> overwhelmed in figuring out which one is "the right way".
>
> Anyone have suggestions and/or tutorials they'd suggest reviewing beyond
> the ones on perldoc?

Rob,

In the past for async stuff I've used:

https://metacpan.org/pod/Parallel::ForkManager

https://metacpan.org/pod/IO::Async

Lots of stuff in the IO::Async distro, like Promises and such.

As for web stuff...

Mojo is really good for that.

https://metacpan.org/pod/Mojo::UserAgent

https://metacpan.org/pod/Mojo::DOM

https://metacpan.org/pod/Mojo::Promise

As with all things Perl, There's More Than One Way To Do It.

Although..we try to push the Modern Way and Best Practices ;-)

joe