[Purdue-pm] Raku followup to last night's meeting

Mark Senn mark at purdue.edu
Thu Apr 9 09:48:49 PDT 2020

Raku (formerly known as Perl 6) is a completely redesigned and rewritten
language but programming in it still feels like programming in Perl.  I
like it much better than Perl.

Raku supports a legacy mode that supports Perl-style regular expressions,
and it has a normal mode that supports the new style of regexes.
[   https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Raku_Programming/Regular_Expressions   ]
My advice: don't use the legacy mode regular expressions---use the better
Raku regexes.

Raku's regexes are more powerful than regular expressions so the name
has changed.  Last night's meeting included information on zero-width
assertions in Perl.  The documentation for Raku regexes is at
    https://docs.raku.org/language/regexes
It has zero-width assertions: Lookaround assertions, lookehead assertions,
and lookbehind assertions.  I like the syntax of these much better
that Perl's.

Raku regexes, tokens, and rules can be used to define a grammar.  Raku
itself is implemented using a Raku grammer.  See
    https://docs.raku.org/language/grammar_tutorial
for a grammar tutorial.

-mark