[Purdue-pm] Reminder: Starship Mongers!

Dave Jacoby jacoby.david at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 06:55:41 PST 2016

We meet at 5:30pm in EE 317 for "Starship Mongers"!

Everybody talks! No one quits! 5 minutes min on a topic of your choice.

This will be a great time to get a read on each others' interests and
capabilities, and will provide the ideas for a number of Mongers meetings
in the next year.

Followed by HackLafayette Open Source Food & Chat at Lafayette Brewing
Company downtown.

Beyond that:

If you're signed up with HackLafayette, you likely receive the HackLafayette
Weekly Newsletter
<https://github.com/hacklafayette/newsletter/blob/2016-12-09/newsletter.md>.
If you have events, you can contribute by forking on GitHub and submitting
your changes to the next_week branch, or adding as repo issue.

The latest newsletter includes a mention of HackLafayette Thunder Talks, a
quarterly event featuring presentations that are longer than a Lightning
Talk (or Starship Monger presentation) but don't go to the length and
detail of full conference presentations. Next one is 2pm January 28 and
features fellow monger Joe Kline's "To Serve Man".

Our January meeting will be on Google's new C++ Test framework, Google Test
<https://github.com/google/googletest>. Thanks to Derrick for this.

Thunder Talks organizer Ben Cotton mentioned an idea I had, being an
introduction to R, the free software environment for statistical computing
and graphics. I do not have enough time to put this together for January's
TT, but will workshop it for February.

(Yes, this means that we'll be hitting non-Perl or non-primarily-Perl
subjects for three months straight. March will have to be deep hardcore
Perl, like Moose or something.)

Anyway, I look forward to seeing everyone tonight in EE 317.

-- Dave Jacoby jacoby.david at gmail.com