[Purdue-pm] Problem with she-bang and PERL5OPT

Rick Westerman westerman at purdue.edu
Thu Nov 20 19:27:25 PST 2014

Mark:  Your link from stack overflow is exactly the one I got my program idea from.  The best answer — marked up 10 times — was from March 2010 so I thought that it would be correct.   It is interesting that the ‘Zed’ you quoted who said the solution doesn’t work posted his comment only 5 hours ago.  This stack overflow link is something to keep an eye on to see if someone counters ‘Zed’.

Others:  Yes, I know that setting PERL5OPT outside the program will carry through.  That isn’t possible in my scenario — executing Perl programs via Apache (the only real reason to use taint in the first place) unless we make all programs use taint.   If someone has a suggestion on how to run individual web programs using taint I am all ears.  Or if people think that I should turn on taint for all of our web programs — not a bad idea — then speak up … just be aware that Dave is already gnashing his teeth over my recent suggestions; I’d hate to see it get worse.  :-)

As for /bin/env vs. /usr/bin/env … on RCAC the latter is a link to the former.  Ergo at least on the RCAC system the former is the “real” program.  Perhaps for Linux as a whole this is not true but I have what I have and portability per se is not a big concern for us aside from Solaris to Linux.  I will keep the /bin/env vs. /bin/usr/env in mind.

--
Rick Westerman
westerman at purdue.edu