[Purdue-pm] reading JSON with different programming languages

Mark Senn mark at ecn.purdue.edu
Sun May 11 17:36:42 PDT 2014

Mark Senn <mark at purdue.edu> wrote on 2014-04-15 at 18:30:27 GMT
|  Derrick Kearney is going to prepare some JSON and the following people
|  will talk and/or write about how they read it with the following
|  programming languages before or at the Purdue Perl Mongers meeting on
|  May 20, 2014.  Send email to markiest at purdue.edu (remove "iest" from
|  the email address) with any corrections or additions to the below list.
|
|  LANGUAGE       WHO
|  Mathematica    Mark Senn
|  Perl           Dave Jacoby
|  PHP            Chris Orr
|  pro            Mark Senn
|  Python         Joe Kline
|  Ruby           Rick Westerman
|
|  Mark Senn, Systems Programmer,
|  Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University

Thanks to Derrick for preparing the JSON challenge problem.

Originally I said I'd do this in Mathematica.  Mathematica is the
combination of a programming language and a graphical user interface
(GUI).  Wolfram Research is coming out with a new version of the
programming language separately from the GUI ---it is called "Wolfram".
It has lots of cool new stuff including "Associations" and "DataSets"
that look likke they may be able to elegantly do the challenge problem.
Unfortunately, as far as I can tell the documentation for it is not
quite ready yet.  I sent a note to Wolfram Research asking for a clue
but if I don't get one I don't plan to pursue doing this in
Mathematica---my solution wouldn't be pretty.

Pro is essentially an extensible macro processor written in Perl 5.
Since the problem is mostly data manipulation and not much only
reading data I don't plan to do this.  It wouldn't add much value
to the Perl 5 solution.

I'm working on a Perl 6 solution.  I don't see any documentation on
the web for how to delete a hash element so that part may not be pretty.

The new language assignment list

LANGUAGE       WHO
Perl 5         Dave Jacoby
Perl 6         Mark Senn
PHP            Chris Orr
pro            Mark Senn
Python         Joe Kline
Ruby           Rick Westerman
Wolfram        Mark Senn (waiting on Wolfram Research for good
               Associaton and DataSet documentation)

Mark Senn, Systems Programmer, Engineering Computer Network, Purdue University