[Purdue-pm] Picking a programmer

derrick derrick at csociety.org
Thu Aug 21 08:11:43 PDT 2014

I'll throw out the ideas of:

1. problem solving
2. curiosity
3. creativity

I'm interested in curiosity and creativity because requirements for
projects are rarely well defined with first given. There ends up being a
few revisions/clarifications as each side interprets them. Being able to
figure out what people really want and tease out the use cases seems to
be more of an art than a science.

Understanding multiple programming paradigms (functional, procedural,
object oriented, vector) is more interesting to me than knowing multiple
languages. I feel that language is a lot about knowing the correct
syntax, a little about understanding peculiarities between languages.
Knowing how to think through a problem using a paradigm allows you to
approach a problem from many angles, weighing the benefits of each.

dsk