[Purdue-pm] Meeting in one Week

Dave Jacoby jacoby at purdue.edu
Wed Mar 13 09:14:04 PDT 2013

So, that sounds like interest.

Here are the modules I want to throw in:
	Beats.pm: outputs time in Swatch Internet Time .beats
		https://gist.github.com/jacoby/5134618
	MyDB.pm: abstracts connecting to MySQL DB
		https://gist.github.com/jacoby/5153611
	DB.pm: abstracts querying MySQL DB. Uses MyDB.
		https://gist.github.com/jacoby/5153628

On 3/12/2013 12:53 PM, derrick wrote:
> Similarly, we could talk about the different classifications of tests. I
> find it helpful to think about the level (user,unit,...) which my test
> is being run to help figure out what I should be writing tests for.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing
>
> I'll try to come up with a quick 5 minute talk about the different
> levels so we have a base for our conversation.
>
> dsk
>
> On 03/12/2013 11:29 AM, Dave Jacoby wrote:
>> In almost exactly one week, we'll be getting together for
>> the next scheduled meeting of the Purdue Perl Mongers.
>>
>> Do we have ideas for topics?
>>
>> The one thing I have is a curiosity on unit testing. Writing
>> tests is a subject like "eat right", "exercise", "back up
>> your data" and "use revision control", in that I'm convinced
>> by society that these are the right things to do, but in
>> practice, I find myself at a loss on how to go how I
>> currently do them to the glorious new world where I do
>> things right.
>>
>> My issue isn't how to use the *.t syntax and testing
>> modules. My issue is knowing what to test for in the first
>> place. Once I know what to test and how to test, the syntax
>> can and will be learned.
>>
>> I could pull out a module or two and we could determine what
>> should be tested.
>>
>> Or, we could do something else.

Dave Jacoby
     Code Maker, Purdue Genomics Core Lab