[Phoenix-pm] unlicense.org

Darrin Chandler dwchandler at stilyagin.com
Fri May 28 12:28:54 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 12:05:54PM -0700, intertwingled wrote:
> How many of you think that open source licenses like GPL are getting
> to complicated and politicized?  What do you think of the
> unlicense.org alternative?  This is a license that releases your
> source code into the public domain.

GPL started out complex and politicized. It's getting worse. If you want
what the GPL is trying to do then I think that's part of the price.

If you just want to make your code available to anyone, for whatever
purpose, then PD is much better. Note that in some jurisdictions the
public domain may not be an option. In those cases MIT/ISC/BSD licenses
are short, in plain words, with minimal restrictions.

--
Darrin Chandler            |  Phoenix BSD User Group  |  MetaBUG
dwchandler at stilyagin.com   |  http://phxbug.org/      |  http://metabug.org/