[Phoenix-pm] Phoenix.pm Status

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Sat Jun 11 09:01:22 PDT 2005

Doug, could you jot down a quick list of chores needing doing?

Also, it's probably time to review who we are and why we're here.  Can
anyone tell us how many people have been subscribing to the list, how
many have been making it to meetings, and where they live?  Maybe we
should all check in with some profile information, including geography.
  I'll start.

I have not made any meetings yet, but have benefited from the list from
time to time.  I live at Thunderbird Rd. and the SR51 and work 8 miles
east of there at Raintree and the 101, so my convenient reach for
meetings and GTs is sort of an oval with foci at the Scottsdale and Sky
Harbor airports.

Personal profile:  I am a seasoned Unix programmer and use a dual boot
XP/Linux system at home.  I programmed in Burroughs/Unisys ALGOL from
1968-1980, in Honeywell COBOL and PL/I from 1981-1995, in Unix C and
shells since 1988, and in Perl for 11 years.  I'm now mostly in C with
bits of shell and Perl; anything ad hoc I will definitely do in Perl.  I
did Perl CGIs almost exclusively during 2000-2003, and know enough to do
anything I need to do in Perl.  But I only rank as a "Perl User"
according to Tom Christiansen's rankings:

   <http://www.redfolder.net/purelith/perl_mastery.html>

... with a touch of "Perl Adept"; but I do not aspire to most of the
attributes of a "Hacker", "Guru" or "Wizard".  In response to the last
line of the "Wizard" definition, for me "the game" is always automating
a business process.  Many of my co-workers, who specialize in C and Java
and VB, come to me with Perl questions; so apparently I do more with
Perl than most people.  But I often Google for simple pointers.

I wrote an object oriented inference engine in 1984 in Honeywell TEX
just for fun; but I have not done much with formal objects, though I do
build some three- and four-level object structures using references.  I
have never programmed in modperl.  For recreation I play the guitar
(folk, country and campfire Christian), and ride my recumbent bike
around the Valley.  I'd like to teach English as a Second Language.

Thanks,
Vic