[Fwd: [Fwd: Re: Phoenix.pm: Inheriting from DateTime]]

Douglas E. Miles doug at phoenixinternet.com
Thu Feb 19 18:58:11 CST 2004

eden wrote:
> I'm forwarding this for eden, because majordomo didn't like the "sub" in
> "Sub new".  I turned off this (mis)feature.  I should have done this a
> long time ago.  Hopefully we'll have fewer legitimate emails bouncing.
> We now return to your regularly scheduled email...
>

> Hmmm... I think there might be a way for you to turn off warnings for a
> certain block.  It's been such a long time since I touched Perl (oh how
> I miss'er), but... maybe...
>
> sub new
> {
>     my $package = shift;
>     my $class = ref($package) || $package;
>
>     {
>       local ($SIG{'__WARN__'}) = sub {};
>       my $self = $class->SUPER::new(@_);
>     }
>     bless($self, $class);
>
>     return $self;
> }
>
> Actually, I tested this, so it won't send out that warning.
>
> The only problem I see with this is that DateTime->new()'s legitimate
> warnings would go unheard.
>
> Hope this was helpful......

Hmmm...  This didn't work for me.  According to the documentation for
Params::Validate (which DateTime uses), it does a Carp::confess (which
is a equivalent to 'die'.  Maybe you have a different version of one or
more of the modules which gives a warning rather than 'die'ing?  I'm not
sure.  Thanks for the reply.