Phoenix.pm: stack backtraces from lockedup programs

doug at phoenixinternet.com doug at phoenixinternet.com
Fri Dec 5 14:26:08 CST 2003

> Oooooh, Apache 2. Apache 2 is threaded. You wouldn't beleive the volume
> of traffic that the problems related to this are generating...
>
> When this happens, er, when this message appears in the log, is
> process 4239 still in the process table? Can you see it? Is
> it zombie status, or ready to run, or running (is it a multiple CPU
> system?), or what? In other words, is Apache on crack, or is the
> process actually hanging? Are the headers correct when you run it
> from the command line?
>
> -scott

Apache actually ends up killing the processes, but I have noticed after
testing this repeatedly, that there are an abnormaly high number of Apache
processes running.  So, I think that the processes are locking up, Apache
spawns new ones, and then gives me warnings about the locked up ones when
it kills them before restart.  That's my theory anyway.

<SNIP>