Phoenix.pm: Re:

tony at autodispatch.com tony at autodispatch.com
Mon Jan 25 10:45:04 CST 1999

Peter,

The debugger is optionally build into the perl binary. You have to compile
with the debug option turned on.

You can check your local copy by typing:
	perl -de 42

You will see something like:

------------------------------------
Emacs support available.

Enter h or `h h' for help.

main::(-e:1):   42
  DB<1>
------------------------------------

If you don't see this, perl will tell you that it has to be compiled with
the 'debug' option. I don't recall the build flags, sorry.... pull down
the latest distribution from www.perl.com and recompile.

The debugger works best if you also get all the "*Read*" modules
from the cpan:

Term::
::ReadKey      Rdcf  Read keystrokes and change terminal modes    KJALB
::ReadLine     Sdcf  Common interface for various implementations ILYAZ
Term::ReadLine::
::Perl         RdpO  GNU Readline history and completion in Perl  ILYAZ
::Gnu          RdcO  GNU Readline XS library wrapper              HAYASHI

This is my bash function to start the debugger. I use the db to try out
new syntax and check things i run across. You can remove the "-I*" if you
don't have libs you need to include.

function pd ()
{
    echo "starting perl in debug mode, lib ~/bin and ~/perl/lib are
included";
    perl -I/home/foo/bin -I/home/foo/perl/lib -de 34
}

Regards,
Tony