Phoenix.pm: Downloading and Installing modules

Douglas E. Miles doug.miles at ns2.phoenix.bowne.com
Wed Dec 8 13:49:48 CST 1999

Beaves at aol.com wrote:

> Hi folks!  It's me again.
>
> I have never had any luck with installing a module from CPAN.  I follow the
> instructions and am unable to get the Makefile.PL to run successfully.  I
> have always done my installing via brute force in the past, but I would
> really like to make my life easier in the future.
> Here is what I do.
> (The actual directory is messier...)
> c:/perl5/download/CGI-modules>perl Makefile.PL
> but I get the dreaded bad command or filename, because the Perl .exe is not
> in this directory. (I forget how to get perl to be recognized in any
> directory in DOS)...

Put the c:\perl\bin (example) directory in your PATH environment
variable in your autoexec.bat file and reboot.  Then you can run it from
anywhere.

> So, I try
> c:/perl5>perl c:/perl5/download/CGI-modules/Makefile.PL
> This runs, but then is unable to find the ExtUtils::MakeMaker module,  I
> assume because of the directory of the Makefile.PL was called in, which
> screws up the @INC.

Try the above, and see if you get the same result.  Which module are you
trying to install?  Have you checked for a PPM file?

> So, what do y'all do?

Use Linux. :)  No, seriously, I have never tried to install a non ppm
module on windows before.

> By the way, how long has CGI.pm been 'converting' to CGI::Base, CGI::Form etc?
> This was the first I have heard of this 'new' (to me at least) organization
> of the CGI module.
>
> Hopes ta see yous guys at da next meetin.   Fagetaboutit.

You're ahead of me here.  I haven't heard anything about this.

--
For a list of the ways which technology has failed
to improve our quality of life, press 3.