[Pdx-pm] Moe, Moose, Rudolph, Mo, Moo, Mouse, Zeus, and Seuss (Perl with Objects aka Perl++)

chromatic chromatic at wgz.org
Fri Mar 1 10:13:26 PST 2013

On Friday, March 01, 2013 09:55:51 AM Jonathan Duke Leto wrote:

> It is 2013. Why isn't this junk part of Perl 5 core yet?

Ever play Jenga? Blindfolded? In the dark? Over a tank of sharks who've been
watching cable news? Also, the instructions are in a macro language that's
only ever accreted over time.

> At this rate, Perl 6 will be production-ready by the time I don't have to
> add a real object system to Perl 5 via CPAN.

TPF would probably have to find and fund another couple of full-time
developers to get the Perl 5 core suitable for this sort of thing. Think a
year to figure out what has to be done, a year for the XS layer deprecation
notices, and a year to get it done. That's 5.22 or 5.24.

Will there be a Perl 6 implementation suitable for general deployment by 2016?
That estimate seems aggressive to me.

-- c