[Pdx-pm] you're shedding your bikes!

John Sechrest sechrest at peak.org
Fri Sep 9 13:05:28 PDT 2011

A plan to improve the language:

For example, in Year 1 that useless letter "c" would be dropped to be
replased either by "k" or "s", and likewise "x" would no longer be part of
the alphabet.

The only kase in which "c" would be retained would be the "ch" formation,
which will be dealt with later.

Year 2 might reform "w" spelling, so that "which" and "one" would take the
same konsonant, wile Year 3 might well abolish "y" replasing it with "i" and
iear 4 might fiks the "g/j" anomali wonse and for all.

Jenerally, then, the improvement would kontinue iear bai iear with iear 5
doing awai with useless double konsonants, and iears 6-12 or so modifaiing
vowlz and the rimeining voist and unvoist konsonants.

Bai iear 15 or sou, it wud fainali bi posibl tu meik ius ov thi ridandant
letez "c", "y" and "x" -- bai now jast a memori in the maindz ov ould
doderez -- tu riplais "ch", "sh", and "th" rispektivli.

Fainali, xen, aafte sam 20 iers ov orxogrefkl riform, wi wud hev a lojikl,
kohirnt speling in ius xrewawt xe Ingliy-spiking werld.

------------------------------

You can also find online a more thorough (and somewhat more serious) essay
by Mark Twain on this subject, "A Simplified
Alphabet,"<http://www.lm.com/~joseph/simple.html>
 which was written in 1899.

This was taken from: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/twain.htm

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Daniel Browning <db at kavod.com> wrote:

> On Friday 09 September 2011 12:03:15 pm Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> > # from Brian Kurle on Friday 09 September 2011:
> > >I find it unfortunate we are bike shedding.
> > According to wikipedia:  "manual nitpicking is still often necessary."
>
> In this doggy-dog world, does grammer; spelling; "or correct" quotation
> usage really matter anymore? I beleive not. Case and point: mitsakes is
> literally a diamond dozen, but they TOTALLY don't make me want to claw my
> eyes out with a dull spoon. Irregardless, it begs the question: is it a
> mute
> point? For all intensive purposes, if bad enlgish would of been the
> downfall
> of society, then we'd of seen it bye now. some say teh worst problem is
> loosing capitalization punctuation is also an issue i think some thoughts
> need to be seperated or maybe its the run on sentences? Does it try your
> patients when I LOL OMG Y U BFF said IDK BRB?!! OIC, the BBQ is W/E GF
> IKR!!
> 1 How bad does it get before i.e. its something up with which you will not
> put?
>
> --
> DB

John Sechrest          .