[Pdx-pm] learn.perl.org rework (TPF grant)

Shlomi Fish shlomif at iglu.org.il
Mon May 4 03:51:24 PDT 2009

On Sunday 03 May 2009 21:17:22 Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've put some effort into the design and CSS here and posted the first
> couple of tutorials:
>
>   http://learnperl.scratchcomputing.com/

Hi Eric!

Thanks for your effort into trying to improve learn.perl.org. Improving it has
been long over-due.

First of all, I should note that you should feel free to re-use content and
ideas from http://perl-begin.org/ (officially under CC-by, but the exact
licensing terms can be negotiated), and from the Public Domain
http://www.shlomifish.org/lecture/Perl/Newbies/ (which has been suffering from
a bit of knowledge-rot, but may still be relevant). I should note that I have
originated (and am still maintaining) both of these resources, just to let you
know that I'm touting my own horn.

Now a few notes on the link:

1. When I open the page in a wide browser window (about 90% of my 1280 pixels
screen), I get a huge empty margin between the right-hand edge of the page, to
the browser window. Perhaps you want to put the page in the middle and/or make
it wider.

2. When pressing the Tutorials link, I got led to a page with the same links
below it, Only without the "books" thing. I find this confusing.

3. You may wish to consult
http://www.shlomifish.org/Files/files/text/TheHackersGuideToMarketing.pdf for
information on how to make the site more eye-catching. I should note that I
did not originate that document, I just keep it on my site for posterity.

> Compared to the existing learn.perl.org, I completely killed most of
> the "news" items and I'm still pondering how to get linked back to the
> perldoc.perl.org (possibly sidebars from the tutorial and/or a "further
> reading" page of some sort.)
>
> The books are definitely moving off of the front page.  Something should
> probably be done to link them back through more of the content
> (sidebar?) and maybe I'll use some cover thumbnails ala books.perl.org.
>
> As navigation goes, that's still somewhat undecided.  I scrapped the
> combust scheme to get to this point, and shebangml has lots of nifty
> tools for includes and conditional links but I don't want to open all
> of the stops (on whatever toolkit) until I know that I'll be able to
> deploy with those features.  Anybody tried to get combust to run under
> e.g. HTTP::Server::Simple?
>
> Anyhow, please feel free to insult my color choices or design.

I feel the links are too easy to miss due to their colour on the white
background.

> Feedback
> on the tutorial content or layout is also welcome.  Anybody know a
> newbie who could try it with a fresh pair of eyes?

There are some on #perl on irc.freenode.net .

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> Thanks,
> Eric