[Pdx-pm] Perl and GUIs

Eric Wilhelm enobacon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 22:28:34 PST 2009

# from Paul Fenwick
# on Tuesday 06 January 2009 21:08:

>> I like the idea of Perl-Glade but was wondering if there is anything
>> newer/better?
>
>I've heard (but not used) good things about wxGlade:
>
>        http://wxglade.sourceforge.net/
>
>I don't know the quality of Perl code it produces, but it claims to do
> so. YMMV.

I have had some issues with the quality of code produced, specifically
with regard to strict.  And the general scheme of printing code rather
bothers me.  Plus, it can lead to architectural contortions.  I also
have some trouble with particularities in its use of sizers and it can
be maddening to try to rearrange your widget/sizer hierarchy
graphically.

It is a decent graphical introduction to what the widgets are and how
they fit together (xrced also works for this.)  I think it might be ok
for quick app or a learning experience, but I found all of that rather
painful when it came to maintenance.

--Eric
--
A counterintuitive sansevieria trifasciata was once literalized
guiltily.