[Pdx-pm] new error from old program

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Thu Apr 9 18:40:33 PDT 2009

Thomas Keller wrote:
> I guess this is why people do testing.
>
> I wrote an old fashioned perl program several years ago in my own quirky
> style. But it worked for many years.
>
> We recently had to rebuild the harddrive and now this program is giving
> me trouble.
>
> Here's the warning it gives:

> /System/Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Scalar/Util.pm
> line 30.
> Parser for XLS is not installed at
> /Users/corelab/bin/wr_xls2oligonet.command line 77

 From a reply to a posting by me back in December 2007 chromatic said

Somehow, your Perl installation is finding the pure-Perl version of
Scalar::Util.  You need the XS version.

Installing a new version from the CPAN might help.  I think one of the
Fedora patches to Perl re-ordered @INC such that Scalar::Util can't find
its .so file.

I did something along these lines, but can't remember that long ago, and
it was fixed.

\\||/
Rod