[Pdx-pm] new error from old program

Thomas Keller kellert at ohsu.edu
Thu Apr 9 18:23:02 PDT 2009

I guess this is why people do testing.

I wrote an old fashioned perl program several years ago in my own
quirky style. But it worked for many years.

We recently had to rebuild the harddrive and now this program is
giving me trouble.

Here's the warning it gives:

Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at /System/
Library/Perl/5.8.8/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Scalar/Util.pm line 30.
Parser for XLS is not installed at /Users/corelab/bin/
wr_xls2oligonet.command line 77

The program runs to the point where Spreadsheet::Read calls
Spreadsheet::ParseExcel. The Parser is installed, but it's dying with
that error.

### code snippet #####
my $ref = ReadData ("${source}/${filename}");
print "version: ", Spreadsheet::Read::Version (),"\n" or carp();
## meta data from hardcoded cell locations: contact, customer, alias,
faid, contact_phone and contact_email
my @rows = Spreadsheet::Read::rows($ref->[1]);
my $customer = $ref->[1]
{A2};                                                   ## PI last name
$data{'CUSTOMER'} = $customer;
$data{'RUN_DATE'} = $run_date;
$data{'USER_FIELD1'} = $ref->[1]{B2};                           ## alias
$data{'USER_FIELD2'} = $ref->[1]{D2};                           ##
contact name

What I thought was a simple reference is now a weak reference, which
is apparently not supported. I thought that problem was addressed in
5.6.6.
But besides that, I don't see why this is a weak reference.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom
Here's the program if anyone has time to look at it.