[Pdx-pm] perl upgrade

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Wed Jan 30 13:00:06 PST 2008

Lindsey Kuper wrote:
> If I were to, say, just save it on my desktop and then run "install
> ~/Desktop/Snapshot_2008_01_30_00", then CPAN just goes looking out in
> the world for things called that.  Schwern, is there a magic trick I
> don't know?

I thought it was just that it probably doesn't know about ~ expansion, but no,
it doesn't appear to do filepaths at all.  Nor file URIs.  I put in a wishlist
request for absolute URIs and file paths.
http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=32814

CPANPLUS, otoh, will handle local files but it does not appear to understand
the bundle file.

One similar trick is that you can run "cpan ." in a distribution directory and
it will install that with the CPAN shell.  Handy if you download a module
tarball and it turns out to have a bunch of directories.

--
Stabbing you in the face so you don't have to.