[Pdx-pm] DON'T SUDO CPAN! [was RE: I think the definition of failsafe is that things should do the safe thing if they fail

Michael R. Wolf MichaelRWolf at att.net
Wed Nov 14 07:38:32 PST 2007

Old thread -- Don't SUDO CPAN!

BTW, thanks for the reference to the discussion at
http://use.perl.org/comments.pl?sid=37249&op=&threshold=0&commentsort=0&mode
=thread&cid=58370

I'm doing some contract work on a system that's been doing 'sudo cpan' for a
while.  When trying to run as a non-root user, I kept getting error messages
like "Cannot create /root/.cpan".  It was a deadlock situation, requiring
that root continue doing all cpan(1) work.

The problem magically went away when I installed a new Bundle::CPAN.

In general, what's a more reliable way to get back to "factory defaults" so
that CPAN::FirstTime will run for a new user?

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!
        MichaelRWolf at att.net