[Pdx-pm] documenting spaghetti code

Selena Deckelmann sdeckelmann at chrisking.com
Wed Jun 27 10:46:20 PDT 2007

Hello,

Apologies if this is a really dumb question.

I have some really horrific code (in C) that I need to make a few
changes to. Unfortunately, I must learn how most of the code works
before I make the changes. There are about 20k lines, there is no
test suite and the code is largely undocumented.

I'm also working with some engineers who are not programmers, but
need to know how the software works in order to make intelligent
suggestions on improving it (it is a physical process, run by a
microcontroller).

I am struggling with how to document the code in a way that is
helpful to us all. I did find some code beautifiers to make reading a
bit less painful.

For the docs, I've started by making a flowchart that walks through
the logic and identifies which files subroutines can be found in. Is
this what I should be doing? Am I doing way too much work? Is there
some really awesome perl tool that maps out a function/tree structure
for me? Is there some other way to do this?

thanks,
selena