[Pdx-pm] Making web pages that display "working on your request"

Michael G Schwern schwern at pobox.com
Mon Jul 30 21:32:18 PDT 2007

Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> Or, you can just put a refresh in the header and have enough persistent
> info on the server to know when the page is ready.  Return the
> 'refresh' page until you get the real one.  No JS needed.  If you know
> it will take 3 seconds, say "This will take about 3 seconds".  If they
> get impatient and hit refresh, say "Your interwebs will be ready in 2.7
> seconds, light only travels at 299,792,458 m/s."  A little more state
> on the server (maybe), but a bookmark-able and proxy-cacheable url, and
> it works on your phone, etc.

Lordy do I hate interstitial pages, both writing them and using them.  That is
all.

> But maybe you really want javascript.
>
>> Most Javascript frameworks handle this
>> for you. I like Prototype myself as it small enough for me to wrap my
>> brain around.
>
> I think more than one person (or just one very loud bloke) at OSCON
> declared Prototype to be "the matt's script archive for javascript" and
> hailed Dojo for exercising release engineering, discipline, etc.

I thought Prototype had fixed the "for in" problem but I just tested it out
and nope they haven't. :(  For those who are wondering what all the hub-bub is
about:

http://blog.metawrap.com/blog/WhyIDontUseThePrototypejsJavaScriptLibrary.aspx