[Pdx-pm] The Perl 5 Wiki

J. Shirley jshirley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 10:00:46 PDT 2007

On 7/9/07, Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:

> Michael> A relevant question at this point, is a wiki (needed|beneficial) at
> Michael> all.  If, Randal, you agree that it is which one(s) are your eyeballs
> Michael> supporting?  (All, sorry about the rhetorical question.)  Your post
> Michael> about the recent changes rate suggests you are not very interested in
> Michael> any form of Perl wiki.
>
> Well, I have made some contributions to all three of the wikis I've mentioned,
> but I stopped when I saw that there weren't a lot of other contributions, as
> my contributions were primarily corrections, and if there's nothing changing,
> there's nothing to correct.  I even requested the formation of perl.wikia.org,
> although only halfheartedly.
>
> Michael> Schwern demonstrably believes one is (needed|beneficial).
>
> I'm not sure about that, hence my question.  It may be that he set it up
> "because he could".  As in the "Build it, and they will come" sort of way.
> But that doesn't make for a successful wiki... you have to promote it, and
> have people who can manage vandalism, and have software that makes watching
> recent changes of the pages you're interested in very easy to help manage the
> vandalism.  (Aside: I think that's why wikimedia has succeeded where others
> have not, because I can watch a select set of recent changes, not needing to
> watch the whole thing.  Can Socialtext do the same?)
>
> --
> <merlyn at stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!

I'm in favor of this new wiki in that it feels "right" as a communal
place.  Much like jobs.perl.org is the place to go for finding Perl
candidates (and has given my company better results than any other job
board).

The fact that it is attached to the perlfoundation, and not part of
some larger community, you're more likely to get people entrenched in
the community or desiring to interact with the specific community,
rather than someone "stumbling" into it.  Depending upon perspective,
that could be better or worse.  I view it as better because those who
are questing to find the information would provide better content and
feedback than someone simply browsing.ght).

And on a side note, I've added some Catalyst content, since that's my
community point of interest.

It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out, though :)

-Jay

(Apologies to Randal to replying to him first, rather than the list...
I blame my email client!)

--
J. Shirley :: jshirley at gmail.com :: Killing two stones with one bird...
http://www.toeat.com