[Pdx-pm] NCPAN - Not-so-Comprehensive Perl Archive

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 18:52:09 PDT 2007

# from Randal L. Schwartz
# on Saturday 07 July 2007 02:54 pm:

>Besides the reviews, smoke tests, manpage comments, bug reports, and
> googling for the articles written about a module, what ELSE do you
> want?

I would sure love to have some kind of time-saver.  I'm not sure vetting
is it.  I think more powerful search would be a good thing.  How do we
get the number of bugs (fixed or not) recentness of updates, ratings,
etc visible in the search results?

Maybe it's just my web 3.0 bias, but more client-side functionality
would be super.  Especially if it integrated the ratings/reviews/etc
with the search.

Possibly also a way to add "favorite" authors and "used by" ranking to
the result order.  For instance, there are a few authors whose code I
would like to see ranked higher in the search, and I suppose it
wouldn't hurt to be able to mark results with my not-so-favorable
opinions of the author (e.g. if I read your code before and it made me
sick, I will put off reading it again.)

Of course, that could get taken personally far too easily, so would have
to be sort of your own private rankings or otherwise obscured if it
were a shared deal.

One thing that certainly seems to be missing is the "used by what?"
variable.  If a module is used by one or more modules that I'm already
using, or used by a high-ranked (for me) author, I'll give it a read.

Might be nice to have a "mixes tabs and spaces" variable or some other
sort of craftsmanship indicator in the search results too.

>What ELSE do you want for free?

Lots :-D

--Eric
--
"You can't win. You can't break even. You can't quit."
--Ginsberg's Restatement of the Three Laws of Thermodynamics