[Pdx-pm] (off-topic) internal/external simple version control for Mac and Linux?

Chris Dawson xrdawson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 18:15:46 PST 2007

Hi there,

We are struggling to find a good version control system that can be operated
both internally and externally (meaning, for people working inside the
firewall and outside, at a coffee shop).  I want to use both GIT and SVN.  I
need something that works with both Mac and Linux.  I would prefer to have a
VPN type solution, but I need to make sure all clients support it.  I have
considered setting up a SOCKS proxy, but I am not sure whether this would
work with GIT and SVN clients on Mac, for example, or even Linux.  I have
considered setting up SVN and GIT over a WedDAV apache server, but I am not
sure if this works well (we've had trouble with Apache+SVN), and I probably
want this over SSL for extra protection.  Can people share the systems and
successes they have for this kind of situation that doesn't compromise
security for coffee shop flexibility?

Thanks,
Chris